Episode 3: Karim Rizkallah on Listeners’ Questions
“You gotta be honest about your hard lines; but, also be as generous as possible, because when you live in a collective the goal can’t be getting your way and convincing everyone else you need to get your way. The goal ought to be finding something for the collective that is as good and as safe for everyone as possible.”Karim Rizkallah
Karim Rizkallah has a 21 year relationship with living in community and shares his most recent milestone in that journey with Valery. Together they founded the Clarens Commons community in Toronto.
Karim joins Valery as a podcast key contributor to answer listeners’ questions about living in and nourishing community.
In this episode:
- Has the word “community” been hijacked?
- Is it useful to distinguish between so-called “big community” and the more organic, member-driven communities that many of us try to foster in our day-to-day lives?
- What do we mean by “living in community?”
- How do you determine fit for your community?
- What makes a space ideal for cohousing or other big community project?
Find Karim and Clarens Commons coverage in
Find other episode references
No One Should Have to Live a Life Without Us
On the Life Without Us podcast, Valery Navarrete shared two seasons of stories about community and connection to inspire more of us to have more “us” in our lives.
Tune in wherever you find podcasts!
Sign Up for Valery’s Newsletter!
Valery’s free, monthly newsletter provides a quick mix of updates on what she is up to and content you can use. Look for it in your inbox on the third Thursday of each month!